Friday, April 13, 2012

Module 5: Plagiarism in an Online Class

Plagiarism is not a big problem in my technology classes, for the most part. It is huge in my Web classes where students will copy and paste an entire Web page into their own page. Not hard to catch because they cannot create the code that is present in those pages.

In my database classes there is a whole market in selling homework. I'm sure this is an issue in other classes as well. In order to try to stem some of the trafficking, I have a methodology that the students must follow when they create their databases. When the databases are created as I require, the name is stored in the module code for the database. I can find it and verify who created the database. The students are not sophisticated enough at this stage to find the code and I don't tell them where it is. I don't even tell them how I check.

I also customize the data files for every quarter. I cannot tell if someone else is doing their homework, but I can tell if the database is one of mine or one that was obtained from a different source.

I have a YouTube channel where I give demonstrations of the techniques in the textbook I use. Someone contacted me though my channel and offered me $100 for one of my databases. He told me that he was turning it in as homework. I didn't answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment