Saturday, April 28, 2012

Module 7: MVMs

This week my most valuable learning moments came from a variety of sources. All are related to the class but only a few are directly in the class.

  • I was blessed to have conversations these past few days with some of my favorite colleagues about teaching and learning. 
  • I have been involved in reviewing candidates for the directorship of the new Faculty Commons. Watching their presentations and hearing their vision for the direction of teach at BC are stimulating. 
  • I have taken one part of a project in my BTS 168 class apart. It was exactly what I was having the students do in the project when they take a finished report and deconstruct it. I took a project and deconstructed it into the various pieces that should make up a comprehensive whole. I was pleased. I think I accomplished that goal. If you would like to see for yourself, check out my BTS 168 Team Initial Design Project. 
  • I reintroduced myself to Teaching Online: A Practical Guide by Susan Ko and Steve Rossen. It is a great reference book. 
In the past two weeks I have spent at least three 10 hour days working on my project and have added a bit nearly every other day. I am so hoping that I got the concept right and that major revisions are not in store for me. I'm tired. It was been a long, hard haul since January.

I started January enrolled in one class and teaching three. By the time mid month came around, I was enrolled in two classes, teaching three, totally inundated by tenure issues, and had been without power for four days. I ended up dropping my BI class and am still bummed about that.

In mid February I was enrolled in one class, teaching three, still totally inundated with tenure issues and my father passed away on my 24th wedding anniversary. It was all I could do to stay on my feet and focused. My students, my classmates, and my professor were all incredibly kind. My family stepped up to the plate and we all got done what needed to get done.

In March I was enrolled in two classes, teaching three, still deeply immersed in tenure issues, spending 20 hours per week on a hiring committee, and preparing to teach one class I have never taught before and one I teach only once a year. 

When April comes around, I'm thinking things will be easier. I am still enrolled in one class, teaching three, still deeply immersed in tenure issues, now find I am on the Pluralism committee, and am working on my third request for public disclosure. In all the years that I have been at BC, I have gotten three requests for public disclosure. They have all been within the last two months.

I have gained a great deal from this course. It is rewarding to understand that what I have been doing is pedagogically sound and to be able to put language around it. It is also great to have the opportunity to dissect a class and put it back together in better shape. I am just ready to have a life for a few weeks before I start my next class for summer quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment